A partial hospitalization program provides an ideal solution for individuals who need a higher level of care than outpatient treatment but do not wish to be away from home or have the responsibilities that come with a full-time stay in an inpatient treatment center. With its comprehensive approach to addiction recovery, it is no wonder why many people choose PHPs as part of their journey toward healing and long-term wellness.
If you think that PHP could be the right choice for your needs, or wish to learn more about our addiction treatment programs, contact Foundations San Francisco for more information today. Call 415.854.6735 or fill out our online form to learn if partial hospitalization is the right treatment option for you.
What Is a Partial Hospitalization Program?
A partial hospitalization program (PHP) is an intensive form of treatment for people with severe substance use disorders and co-occurring mental health conditions. It is a more structured and intensive level of care than outpatient services, yet it does not require the patient to remain on the premises. PHP programs are tailored to meet each individual’s specific needs, providing personalized therapy sessions that address the root causes of their addiction and mental health issues. Treatment modalities may include individual and group therapy, skills training, medication management, leisure activities, and educational classes. During this time, patients receive support from qualified professionals who monitor their progress on a daily basis. The ultimate goal of PHP is to help individuals achieve stability, better manage their symptoms, and return to a successful life in their communities.
PHPs are often employed as an alternative to more intensive forms of treatment, such as residential or inpatient care. While they do not require an overnight stay, patients may still be required to stay for several hours each day for therapy sessions and other activities. PHPs can provide short-term treatment for those who need more support than outpatient services but cannot commit to a full hospitalization program. It is also beneficial for those transitioning from higher levels of care back into everyday life. With its comprehensive approach and emphasis on long-term success, this type of care provides individuals with the tools they need to stay healthy and independent.
What to Expect from Our Partial Hospitalization Program in San Francisco
Our PHP in San Francisco, CA, offers a level of care that is more intensive than outpatient treatment but does not require the full-time stay of inpatient treatment. In this program, individuals can receive treatment for several hours each day and return home afterward. The following are some of the services that are included in our partial hospitalization program:
- Group therapy – Group therapy sessions provide an opportunity for participants to discuss different topics related to addiction, mental health, and recovery with one another, as well as receive support from peers who are facing similar challenges.
- Individual therapy – This type of therapy allows participants to work one-on-one with a therapist to explore individual issues and develop personalized strategies for overcoming addiction, maintaining sobriety, and managing mental health symptoms.
- Medication management – A psychiatrist or other healthcare professional in the program can help with creating an effective medication regimen to maximize treatment results when necessary.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – CBT is a type of therapy that helps individuals recognize, challenge, and modify thoughts and behaviors that are contributing to their substance abuse and mental health issues.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) – DBT is an evidence-based therapy that was developed to help individuals with extreme emotional dysregulation. DBT integrates cognitive-behavioral techniques with Eastern mindfulness practices, enabling individuals to better regulate their emotions and reactions to stressful environments.
- Education – During these educational sessions, participants learn more about addiction and mental health, coping skills, relapse prevention, and stress management.
The amount of time spent in our PHP will vary depending on the individual’s needs, but generally lasts between three days and four weeks. In most cases, individuals can expect to spend around six hours per day in the program receiving treatment services before returning home each afternoon or evening.
Are You a Good Candidate for a PHP?
The ideal candidate for a partial hospitalization program would have some of the following qualities:
- Having a history of substance abuse or addiction that needs to be addressed
- Experiencing mental health symptoms that are impacting their daily functioning, often leading to self-medication with substances
- Difficulty managing emotions or behaviors that may lead to substance abuse and self-harming thoughts or actions
- Inability to manage daily activities such as self-care, meal preparation, and maintaining a home due to substance abuse and co-occurring mental health issues
- A need for medication management or monitoring
Partial hospitalization programs provide a supportive, structured environment for people to receive intensive treatment while continuing to be connected to their families, communities, and support systems. They are ideal for individuals who need more than outpatient services but do not require inpatient care. This type of program can help build the skills needed to move towards greater independence and functioning in the community.
Learn More About the Partial Hospitalization Program at Foundations San Francisco Today
With the help of a partial hospitalization program, individuals can find stability and develop the skills needed to overcome addiction and manage their mental health in order to live a more healthy, independent life. Contact Foundations San Francisco at 415.854.6735 or online to find out if this treatment option is right for you.